Monument record ADB 102 - Post Medieval clay extraction pit.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 45794 57956 (136m by 131m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A mineral extraction pit of probable Post Medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs from 1943 onwards, centred on circa TM45795795 (S1). The pit is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1884 as a clay pit, and on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map of 1904 as a Crag pit, crag being a shelly/sand mineral deposit (S2, S3). It is currently in use as a plant nursery, marked on the current maps as Crag Pit Nurseries. (S4-5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 5048-5049 30-Dec-1943.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1884.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". 1904.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/1672 154-155 03-Mar-1955.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/69011 40 10-Mar-1969.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2013 3:41PM