Monument record ADB 136 - A Post Medieval sea bank on Aldeburgh Marshes.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 45511 56034 (202m by 343m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
The remains of a flood defence bank of probable Post Medieval date are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of Aldeburgh Marshes at circa TM45495606. In 1943 the bank is visible as an intermittent earthwork, flanked by ditches, running for circa 420m from circa TM45485620 to circa TM45665586 (S1). A 70m breach in the bank from circa TM45565593 to TM45605588 is probably the result of erosion and the cutting of drainage channels. On 1968 and 1972 photographs the bank has been levelled and the earthwork and ditches are visible as soilmarks (S2, S3). There is no evidence of a bank on the 1st or 2nd edition Ordnance Survey maps of 1884 and 1904, suggesting that this bank had long been superseded by 1884. Any further remains of the bank that were probably destroyed by later the drainage and enclosure practices in the Post-Medieval period (S4, S5).
- <S1> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 5048-4049 30-Dec-1943.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/68144 3-4 31-May-1968.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/72057 2-3 24-Mar-1972.
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1884.
- <S5> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". 1904.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2013 3:58PM