Monument record ADB 142 - A Post Medieval sea bank on the northern side of the River Alde.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 44685 56151 (1941m by 1488m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A Post Medieval sea bank is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs from 1943 onwards, centred on TM446561 (S1). The sea bank runs from the south of Aldeburgh at circa TM46405558 for approximately 3.6 Kilometres to circa TM448568. The sea bank is marked on an enclosure map of circa 1800 and on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884, but not on Norden's map of 1601 and must therefore have been built for the reclamation of the land on Aldeburgh Marshes in the Post Medieval period. (S1-S5).
- <S1> SXS50119 Map: Historic Map of Sudbourne: Harwich to Lowestoft, c. 1800. circa 1800.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1884.
- <S3> SXS50118 Map: John Norden. 1601. Orford Ness, A selection of Maps Mainly by John Norden - presented to J A Steers.. 1 inch to 1 mile. 1601.
- <S4> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. NMR US/7PH/GP/LOC132 5047-5048 30-Dec-1943.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR OS/72057 106-107 24-Mar-1972.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2013 3:59PM