Monument record ADB 145 - A Post Medieval or Modern boat hard.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 46282 55427 (28m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A boat hard is visible as a structure on aerial photographs from 1940 onwards, located at circa TM46285542 (S1). The boat hard is visible on an area of shingle adjacent to Slaughden quay. It is constructed form two rows of posts, probably timber, extending for nearly 40m into the inter-tidal zone of the River Alde from circa TM46295543 to TM46265541. A boat hard is noted in this location on the second edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1904, but not on the first edition of 1884 (S2, S3). Considering that several other boat hards are mapped on the 1884 map in this area, it is likely that this particular hard was constructed at some time after 1884. However, it is also possible that is was constructed some time before 1904. The hard is still visible on 1969 photography, but it is in a much eroded state (S4). The hard appears to have been consolidated and repaired by 1972 (S5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2/BR11/14 1-2 08-Jul-1940.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". Circa 1904.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/69011 11-12 10-Mar-1969.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR 0S/72057 106-107 24-Mar-1972.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2013 4:01PM