Monument record IKN 043 - Three Post-Medieval quarry pits.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 39430 55952 (221m by 276m)|
|Civil Parish||IKEN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Three probable Post-Medieval quarry pits are visible as cropmarks within the mainly coniferous woodland Tunstall Forest, Centred on circa TM39405598. The pits are first visible on aerial photographs as two irregular depressions in the forest canopy on aerial photographs from 1943 (S1). The northernmost of these is visible as an irregular curvilinear gully, roughly 151m long, that curves to the south-east from circa TM39325609 to circa TM39415596. This is probably formed by two separate features. The first is a sand pit that is marked on a map of Iken from 1841 (S2). The feature is about 20 metres wide and 110 metres in length, and centred on circa TM39345602. The second is a clay pit that is marked n the first edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884 (S3). This is approximately 35 metres in diameter and is centred on circa TM394005597. The purpose of the third pit is unclear. Although it is mapped on both the first and second edition Ordnance Survey maps of circa 1884 and 1904 (S3, S4), with some visible change in its shape suggesting that it may still be in use, the product of the pit is not noted. The location of the pits is still visible, although less clearly, on aerial photographs of 1965 (S5).
- <S1> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. NMR US/7PH/GP/LOC132 5056-5057 30-Dec-1943.
- <S2> SXS50123 Map: B H Galland C.E. for Marquess of Hertford. 1841. Survey of Iken by BH Galland C.E.. Six chains to an inch. Iken 1841.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S5> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/65095 168-169 06-Nov-1965.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 6 2013 12:09PM