Monument record SLY 135 - A probable Medieval or Post Medieval hollow way visible as an earthwork to the east of Old Hall Hill, Shotley
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 23592 35330 (288m by 113m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A probable Medieval or Post Medieval hollow way is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs in the field to the north-west of Old Hall Hill, Shotley, centred on TM 23593532. The hollow way runs in a roughly west-east direction for 308m from TM 23443527 to TM 23733538, the site of Old Hall Barn. No track is depicted following this route on the 1st or 2nd Edition 25" Ordnance Survey suggesting that the hollow way may have a Post Medieval or even Medieval date. (S1) (S2) (S3) (S4) (S5) (S6)
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF HLA/686 3139 02-MAR-1944.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1707 3352-3353 29-AUG-1946.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1937 3248-3249 18-JAN-1947.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2335/2 (956/363) 07-JUN-1976.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM