Monument record SLY 141 - A possible Later Prehistoric or Roman field system and trackways visible as cropmarks in fields to the north of Church End, Shotley
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 23955 36436 (566m by 419m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
A possible Later Prehistoric or Roman field system and trackways are visible as cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 23963638 in fields to the north of Church End in Shotley parish. The site consists of a number of ditched trackways, centred on TM 23693654, TM 24073628 and TM 23813644. They do not follow the same alignment and a narrower ditch in the centre of the latter trackway suggests that it has been recut at some stage. A number of rectilinear enclosures appear to be related to the trackway located at TM 24073628. These enclosures are centred on TM 24073634 and measure roughly 40m by 50m. Other linear features located in these fields may also be field boundaries. (S1-S5)
See SLY 142 for undated field boundaries, SLY 137 for quarry pits, SLY 025 for windmill site and SLY 024, SLY 123 and SLY 124 for the round barrows.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2336/2 (956/342) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2336/4 (SFU 11560/GC/18) 01-JUL-1977.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2336/16 (4631/14) 30-MAY-1990.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2436/1 (4631/17) 30-MAY-1990.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2336/24 (EXC 16927/14) 13-JUN-1996.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM