Monument record SUE 078 - Probable Post Medieval Oyster pits at Home Reach on the western bank of the River Alde, Sudbourne parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 45467 53703 (300m by 802m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A group of probably Post Medieval oyster pits are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks on the western bank of the River Alde, in Sudbourne parish. The pits are located in a bend of the river on the saltmarsh at Home Reach, centred on circa TM 45795371. This group of pits vary in size from about 3 x 3m to 12 x 7m and follow the curve of the sea bank from about TM45705410 to circa TM45415330. They are not marked on either the first or second edition of the Ordnance Survey maps (circa 1884 and 1904) (S1, S2). However they can be seen on aerial photographs from 1940 and many of the pits appear to be silted and eroded by this time, suggesting that they may pre-date the earlier maps (S3). The pits can still be seen on aerial photographs of 1955 and 1972 (S4, S5).
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". Circa 1904.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2E/BR11/12 4-5 13-AUG-1940.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 82/1214 455-6 06-JUN-1955.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/72/057 109-110 24-MAR-1972.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM