Monument record SUE 095 - Post Medieval oyster pits to the south and east of Lantern Marshes, Sudbourne parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 45386 51068 (1001m by 1530m)|
|Civil Parish||SUDBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A large number of earthwork features, probably Post Medieval shellfish production pits, can be seen on aerial photographs cut into the saltmarsh to the south and east of Lantern marshes, centred on circa TM45455121. The pits are clearly visible for approximately 2km from circa TM45555182 to the east of Lantern marshes, to circa TM44565046 at the border between Lantern and Kings Marshes. In general they vary in size from circa 3 x 3m to about 6 x 8m and are cut into the saltmarsh alongside a drainage channel that runs to the east and south of the sea wall SUE 087. In addition, the pits are visible on both the first and second edition Ordnance Survey maps of circa 1884 and 1904, and can therefore be dated with some confidence to the Post Medieval period (S1, S2). More pits may continue to the north but it is not possible to be certain from the photographs available.(S1-S6).
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". Circa 1904.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2E/BR11/12 7-9 13-AUG-1940.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2H/BR163 8-11 24-DEC-1941.
- <S5> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7GR/LOC355 4061-2 30-MAY-1944.
- <S6> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK929 4376-7 16-OCT-1945.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM