Monument record ORF 071 - Fuze Magazine dated circa 1936
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 43964 48923 (7m by 5m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Three storage structures associated with the military research establishment on Orfordness (see ORF 021) are visible on aerial photographs located on the high ground above Stony Creek, centred on circa TM43834884. The structures have been identified by Angus Wainwright, the archaeologist of the National trust, as a magazine, a special ammunition store and a component store, all of which date to 1936. Two of the structures are circa 6m x 3m in size, whilst the third appears to be circa 5m x 8m in size, although it may include some storage area beneath an adjacent earthwork mound, particularly if it was used to store explosive material. (S1-3).
2007: Field survey of the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment by Historic England (S4).
The Fuze Magazine is a small, rectangular, single storey building of cavity wall construction finished in red fair faced brick laid to stretcher bond. It has a flat concrete asphalt covered roof. Earthenware airbricks vent the cavity and the building’s interior is ventilated by metal vents. Internally the building was originally divided into two bays accessed through two single wooden outward opening doors on the north side. Adjacent to each of the doors is an inset boot scraper and a concrete slab, presumably
to stand on while boot scraping. At the eastern end of the north side is a small window that probably contained an external electric light. A concrete plaque records the building was constructed in 1931 and below this is a faded painted number 43. On the south side the eastern bay is lit by a small wooden four light window with wired glass. The western bay is lit by a pair of similar windows. Both windows have concrete sills and windows and are protected by metal bars. Externally are traces of copper lightning conductor straps and electrical fittings. During the 1950s the magazine was converted into a small office when the central partition wall was removed and ply-wood cupboards and an electrical heater were installed. The east and west walls are blank except for vents.
On the south side of the building is a sprayed number 88.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF S/656 79-80 06-10-41.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4372-3 16-OCT-1945.
- <S3> SXS50132 Verbal communication: Angus Wainwright. Angus Wainwright, Verbal Communication. verbal communication, March 2003.
- <S4> SSF56353 Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. D3.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2016 1:41PM