Monument record ORF 075 - A World War one motor transport shed
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 43899 49063 (19m by 20m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A structure of First World War date is visible on aerial photographs of 1940s onwards, centred on circa TM43894906 on King's Marshes, Orfordness, Orford parish. The structure has been identified by Angus Wainwright, the archaeologist of the National Trust who now own the Ness, as a First World War motor transport shed, associated with the early experimental air base. The building probably continued in regular use throughout the Second World War (see ORF 021). (S1-S4). Structure No. B5, 1914-15: Heavy Workshop (S5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF S/656 79-80 06-OCT-1941.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF BR289 4-5 07-JAN-1942.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4373-4 16-OCT-1945.
- <S4> SXS50132 Verbal communication: Angus Wainwright. Angus Wainwright, Verbal Communication. Verbal communication, March 2003.
- <S5> SSF56353 Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. B5.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2016 4:59PM