Monument record ORF 077 - A aircraft hangar of World War I date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 43823 49074 (58m by 52m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A structure of First World War date is visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa TM43824907 on King's Marshes, Orfordness, Orford parish. The structure is a First World War aircraft hangar associated with the early experimental air base, established circa 1915. The building continued in use as part of the experimental munitions and armaments testing base throughout the Second World War (see ORF 021). (S1-S4) Structure No. 20 (s5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF S/656 79-80 06-OCT-1941.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF BR289 4-5 07-JAN-1942.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4373-4 16-OCT-1945.
- <S4> SXS50131 Bibliographic reference: Gordon Kinsey. 1981. Orfordness - Secret Site, A History of the Establishment 1915-1980. Kinsey, G. (1981).
- <S5> SSF56353 Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. 20.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2016 11:09AM