Monument record ORF 185 - A First World War barracks block
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 43594 48822 (36m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A First World War barracks building is visible as a structure on King's Marshes, Orfordness, on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa TM43594882. The structure has been identified by Angus Wainwright, the archaeologist of the National Trust, who now own the Ness, as a First World War barrack block associated with the early experimental air base. The building continued in regular use with a variety of functions throughout the Second World War (see ORF 021). (S1-S4)
2007: Field survey of the Atomic Weapons Research Establishment by Historic England (S5).
GRADE II LISTED BUILDING (S6)
MATERIALS The building is constructed of concrete with a timber frame and a C20 corrugated metal roof covering.
PLAN The building has a rectangular plan of 10 bays long and 3 wide.
EXTERIOR The barrack has a central gable roof section, with a shallow pitch and lights beneath the eaves, flanked by outshots to either side with pent roofs and pier divisions. The contemporary metal framed windows in the outshots generally survive intact. At the east end, double doors have been inserted into the central section, flanked by metal framed casements.
INTERIOR The roof is felt-clad over timber planking and supported on timber posts and metal columns (some timber posts have been replaced). The conduits and some light fittings remain.
Formerly recorded as ORD 080.
- --- SSF56387 (No record type):
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF S/656 78-79 06-OCT-1941.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF BR289 5-6 07-JAN-1942.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4372-3 16-OCT-1945.
- <S4> SXS50132 Verbal communication: Angus Wainwright. Angus Wainwright, Verbal Communication. Verbal communication, March 2003.
- <S5> SSF56353 Unpublished document: Cocroft, W. and Alexander, M.. 2009. Atomic Weapons Research Establishment, Orford Ness, Suffolk Cold War Research & Development Site Survey Report. 10-2009. Structure No. C1.
- <S6> SSF56379 Digital archive: Historic England. The National Heritage List for England. List entry Number: 1416866.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 27 2016 1:41PM