Monument record ORF 086 - Shellfish pits of probable Post Medieval date at Orfordness, Orford parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 43761 49559 (890m by 479m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Shellfish pits are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks cut into the saltmarsh on the Orfordness bank of the River Ore, centred on circa TM43594942, Orford parish. The pits are not marked on either the first or second edition Ordnance Survey maps of circa 1884 and 1904, and although some may be modern in date, their location parallel to the flood defence bank and similarity in shape and size to other pits in the area suggests that most were probably constructed in the Post Medieval period (S2, S3). The pits run along the saltmarsh for just over 1km and continue to be visible on more recent aerial photography (S4, S5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/832 3163-4 23-SEP-1945.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". Circa 1904.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/877 5164-6 21-MAY-1952.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/71156 191-192 02-MAY-1971.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM