Monument record ORF 090 - A possible shellfish production pit to the south of Stony Ditch, seen on aerial photographs, Orford parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 43032 48263 (14m by 10m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A rectangular pit circa 8 x 4m in size, possibly for the production of shellfish, is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs centred on circa TM43034826 in Orford parish. The pit is surrounded by a low earthwork bank and lies adjacent to a tidal channel fed by Stony ditch. It is marked on the first and second Odnance Survey maps of circa 1884 and circa 1904, providing a Post Medieval date for its construction (S1-2). The pit is visible on aerial photographs from 1940 onwards (S3-4).
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". Circa 1904.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2E/BR11/12 16-17 13-AUG-1940.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4370-4371 16-OCT-1945.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/71030 20-21 10-APR-1971.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM