Monument record ORF 099 - Oyster beds of probable Post-Medieval or modern date are visible on aerial photographs of Havergate Island, Orford parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 42474 47974 (152m by 211m)|
|Civil Parish||ORFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Oyster beds of Post-Medieval or modern date are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of 1941 onwards, centred on circa TM42474796, Orford parish (S1). The pits can be seen on the southern side of Cuckold's Point on Havergate Island and measure between circa 3 x 3m and 6 x 6m. The pits are not marked on either the first or second edition of the Ordnance Survey maps of circa 1884 and 1904 but their alignment with the sea wall (see ORF 102) suggests that a Post-Medieval date for their construction might be possible. The pits are suffering visibly from the effects of erosion by 1971. (S2-3)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF S/656 73-4 06-OCT-1941.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S3> SXS50092 Verbal communication: Sarah Newsome. 2001. circa 1904.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/832 4170-123-SEP-1945.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/71030 18-19 10-APR-1971.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM