Monument record FRT 009 - Remnants of a possible Post-medieval field system visible from aerial photographs (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 17166 38330 (919m by 1089m)|
|Civil Parish||FRESTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Remnants of a possible Post Medieval field system are visible as cropmarks or soilmarks on aerial photographs, centred on TM 17293843 in Freston parish. The field boundaries are visible as cropmarks of ditches or levelled banks, probably representing where hedges have been grubbed out. A number of the ditches appear to fit into the 19th century field pattern show on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 25" map of circa 1884 (S1), such as those at TM 17093853 and TM 17263847. However the area is also covered by the remnants of a possible Later Prehistoric or Roman field system (FRT 009) and in some areas, such as TM 17413860, the cropmarks are probably a combination of Later Prehistoric or Roman and Post Medieval boundaries. At TM 17203844 a confusing overlap of field boundaries of different dates are visible. A number of periglacial frost cracks also run across the area. (S2-S7)
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 1879/543 F22 0176-0177 25-SEP-1962.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/66189 164-165 23-JUL-1966.
- <S4> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1738/4 (SFU 11560/GC/13) XX-JUL-1977.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1738/17 (1659/386) 13-JUL-1979.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1738/19 (1659/394) 13-JUL-1979.
- <S7> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1738/25 (4579/34) 30-MAY-1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2021 12:52AM