Monument record ARW 041 - A post medieval quay, visible on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 22575 34084 (22m by 84m)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A Post Medieval quay is visible as an earthwork and structure on aerial photographs, located in the intertidal zone near Waterhouse Creek in the Stour estuary, Arwarton at TM 22573408. The quay is approximately 85m in length and is visible as an earthwork protruding across the salt marsh from the shore. (S1) On later photographs a stretch of seabank is visible blocking access to the quay and probable wooden revetting can be seen at the end that meets the creek. (S2) (S3) The quay is depicted on the 1770 map of Arwarton (Erwarton) by William Chapman (S4) as well as on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey 25" map of 1881 (S5) suggesting that the remains visible are of Post Medieval date. (S6)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1635 3017-3018 09-JUL-1946.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 543/2326 1F21 0338-0339 23-JUL-1963.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/87146 8964-8965 11-SEP-1987.
- <S4> SXS50144 Map: Chapman, W.. 1770. Estate of Doweger Lady Chedworth in Erwarton. Traced from original.
- <S5> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1881.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 03/12/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:44PM