Monument record ARW 047 - Post Medieval quay, visible on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 21338 33151 (18m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A Post Medieval quay is visible as a structure and earthwork on aerial photographs taken from 1940s onwards, located at TM 21343315 on Erwarton Ness. The quay is depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey 25" maps of 1881 and circa 1884 (S1) (S2) and appears to have consisted of an area of earth or gravel protruding into the channel, revetted by a structure consisting of wooden posts. (S3) (S4) The quay was probably still in use in the 20th century but recent photography has shown that the quay is now disused and only the wooden revetment remains. (S5) (S6)
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1881.
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1492 4069-4070 10-MAY-1946.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/633 Pt II 5144-5145 18-APR-1951.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2133/10 (21517/14) 28-MAR-2002.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2133/13 (21517/17) 28-MAR-2002.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:47PM