Monument record ARW 049 - A substantial bank, possibly the remains of a seabank or causeway of unknown date.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 20729 33562 (140m by 96m)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
A substantial bank of unknown date, possibly the remains of a seabank or causeway, is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, centred on TM 20733356 in Erwarton parish. The bank is located inland of the existing seabank, close to where Johnny All Alone Creek runs into the River Stour. The bank is 165m in length and runs across a valley area between two areas of slightly higher ground. (S1-S4) The position of the bank suggests that it may be the remains of an earlier seabank or perhaps a causeway across an area of wetter ground. (S5)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1635 1019-1020 09-JUL-1946.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1937 1252-1253 18-JAN-1947.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/633 Pt II 5144-5145 18-APR-1951.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/87146 9008-9009 11-SEP-1987.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 04/12/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:48PM