Monument record HRK 072 - Remnants of a possible Prehistoric or Roman field system, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 19331 34065 (502m by 1017m)|
|Civil Parish||HARKSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
The remnants of a possible Later Prehistoric or Roman field system are visible as the cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 19273430 in fields to the east of Nether Hall, Harkstead. The possible field system consists of a trackway running WNW to ESE, located at TM 19223432, which appears to be associated with a number of possible rectilinear enclosures to the north. Another stretch of ditched trackway is visible at TM 19143427 and to the south a number of linear ditches and possible fragments of trackway are visible on a similar alignment at TM 19483394 and TM 19523377 and they do not appear to be related to the modern field pattern. The overall pattern of ditches does not appear to relate to the modern pattern of landuse and the ditches may be the remains of a Later Prehistoric or Roman field system. The possible field system remains do not appear to be related to the possible Prehistoric settlement site (HRK 007), though the elements are on roughly similar alignments. The remnants of Post Medieval field boundaries are also visible in the fields (HRK 073). (S1-S6)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BPT79) 27-MAY-1974.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1934/1 (956/396) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (RC8BW093) 27-APR-1977.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1934/11 (4506/28) 17-JUL-1989.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1934/20 (EXC 16926/13) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S6> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BPV65) 04-JUN-1974.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 5 2013 2:35PM