Monument record KIR 038 - Roman saltern.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 29398 41596 (47m by 29m)|
|Civil Parish||KIRTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A Roman salt production site or 'saltern' is visible on aerial photographs as a 'red hill', located at TM 29404159, to the south of Kirton Creek. The 'red hill' covers an area of around 50m by 30m and is located on a small spur at the edge of the wetter ground. (S1-S3) A site visit by Linzi Everett of Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service confirmed the presence of briquetage and Roman pottery. (S4) NB See field walking report for further details on finds. (S5)
NB. Incorrectly numbered as KIR 039.
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2941/11 (21833/18) 19-OCT-2002.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2941/12 (21833/19) 19-OCT-2002.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2941/15 (21833/22) 19-OCT-2002.
- <S4> SXS50121 Verbal communication: Everett, L.. 2002. Linzi Everett - Verbal Communication. Linzi Everett 22/02/2003.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 19/03/04.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2013 12:49PM