Monument record TYN 114 - Radar station of Second World War date
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 26256 38821 (512m by 302m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A Ground Control Intercept (GCI) Radar station of Second World War date is visible as a series of structures and tracks on aerial photographs of 1944 onwards, in Trimley St Martin parish (S1-S3). This station, known as Trimley Heath, was a Final GCI radar station, a type developed developed to counter German night raiding and able to control several interceptions simultaneously. The rectangular concrete structures housed the operations room, rest rooms and power generators. The tracks from the rectangular concrete structures led to the radar transmittors and receivors, known as aerials and interrogators (S4-S7). The site immediately to the north may have been an 'Intermediate Mobile' GCI station. (S8)
The site of Ground Controlled Interception (GCI) radar station at Trimley Heath. GCI stations were developed by the Air Ministry from 1940 to detect, locate and track enemy aircraft and provide inland radar coverage of Britain. Trimley Heath initially functioned as a Intermediate Transportable station. Intermediate Transportable (IT) sites typically comprised a single aerial array mounted on a gantry and a 50ft by 18ft non-metallic operations hut. Additional on-site buildings included a small power house, temporary hutting for offices and recreation, and a guard hut for the site entrance. By January 1943 the site had been developed into a Final station. Final GCI or AMES Type 7 stations comprised a single rotating aerial array with transmitter equipment stored beneath in an underground well, plus an operations block, a standby set house for reserve power, and a guard hut. The Final station was located 800m to the south-east of the IT station at TM 265 381 (S9).
Remains of Second World War radar station generator house at the Trimley Heath radar station (S10).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/23 3035-6 06-JUL-1944.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/23 4025-6 06-JUL-1944.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 541/367 3005-6 31-OCT-1949.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 541/406 0039 22-NOV-1949.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 541/406 0044 22-NOV-1949.
- <S6> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 541/406 0050 22-NOV-1949.
- <S7> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 541/406 0051 22-NOV-1949.
- <S8> SSF54834 Monograph: Dobinson, C.. 1996. Twentieth Century Fortifications in England. Acoustics and Radar, Volume VII 1. pp78-108.
- <S9> SSF53735 Index: English Heritage. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1412194.
- <S10> SSF53735 Index: English Heritage. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1412198.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Nov 9 2013 12:04PM