Monument record FEX 261 - World War II anti-tank ditch, visible as an earthwork.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 28169 34708 (444m by 982m)|
|Civil Parish||FELIXSTOWE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Approximately 1300 metres of an anti-tank ditch of Second World War date can be seen as an earthwork on contemporary aerial photographs on reclaimed land to the north of what is now the Port of Felixstowe, from circa TM27853422 in Walton Ferry, Felixstowe parish, to the former site of Blofield Hall at circa TM28173519 in Trimley St Mary parish. The ditch appears to consist partly of a new cut across reclaimed land and partly of a widening of existing drainage ditches. Such obstructions were constructed to prevent the cross-country advance of enemy armoured vehicles in the instance of an invasion. Similar trenches can be seen to the east and north (see TYY 057 and FEX 262).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 19 2013 1:00PM