Monument record BGL 037 - A possible Iron Age extensive ditched system and trackways, visible as fragmentary cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 24653 43798 (1079m by 594m)|
|Civil Parish||BRIGHTWELL, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A possible extensive ditched co-axial field system and trackways of later prehistoric date are visible as numerous fragmentary cropmarks over an area of circa 30 Hectares, crossing the line of the modern A12 road, Brightwell parish, centred roughly on circa TM246430. The cropmarks are not very coherent, but viewed as a group hint at a possible large-scale organisation of the landscape. They appear to be orientated roughly north-south, east-west, apart from the eastern area of the group where the vertical axis appears to tilt towards the north-east. This organisation may continue to the west (see FXL 045) and south over the Mill River valley (see BGL 040). (S1-S5)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/34 4057-8 15-AUG-1944.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2443/4/219 (SF1658) 12-JUL-1979.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2543/17 (4578/12) 28-MAY-1990.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2543/20 (4698/27A) 28-MAY-1990.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR 2443/5 (4578/11) 28-MAY-1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2016 4:31PM