Monument record NBN 027 - Ditched field systems of unknown date, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 25971 43164 (581m by 621m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Two phases of ditched field systems of unknown date can be seen on aerial photographs as cropmarks, centred on circa TM258432, to the west of Newbourne village, Newbourne parish. The date of the cropmark boundaries cannot be established from the aerial photographs alone, but preliminary interpretations can be made. Linear cropmarks centred on circa TM25724316 are aligned on a roughly north-south axis not dissimilar to that of the surrounding post-medieval field system, and may be of medieval or early post-medieval date. Numerous ring ditches are visible as cropmarks in this area (). Some are probably the remains of Bronze Age round barrows, but others may be the remains of later prehistoric round houses (). That the more extensive system of boundaries may not respect the location of the probably Bronze Age barrow NBN 022, and is on a on a more north-west to south-east axis, may support a possible interpretation of a later prehistoric or Roman date. (S1-S6)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 543/2326 (F21) 404-5 23-JUL-1963.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/66/189 180-1 23-JUL-1966.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. TM 2543/26 (EXC 19028/15) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2543/10 (4505/5) 14-JUL-1989.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2643/11 (4689/24/A) 28-MAY-1990.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2543/16 (5478/10) 28-MAY-1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2013 2:53PM