Monument record BUN 084 - World War II military tented camp, visible as structures and earthworks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 33008 90217 (300m by 325m)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A military tented camp of second world war date is visible as structures and earthworks on Outney Common, to the north of Bungay, centred on circa TM330901. A zigzag slit trench, probably dug for practise purposes, is visible approximately 100 metres to the north of the camp. The function of the camp is unclear. It may have been located here to make use of the 'grandstand' structure marked on the Second Edition Ordnance Survey Map of circa 1904 and its associated grounds. Linear earthworks visible on the aerial photographs may be related to those noted in BUN 017.
- <S1> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". Circa 1904.
- <S2> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7PH/GP/LOC258 5015 28-MAR-1944.
- <S3> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7GR/LOC355 4048 30-MAY-1944.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 540/465 3199-200 20-APR-1951.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/5942 (F21) 103-4 27-SEP-1963.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 18 2014 3:48PM