Monument record MTT 039 - Medieval or Post Medieval drainage channels, visible as earthworks and cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 36495 91174 (1232m by 554m)|
|Civil Parish||METTINGHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Drainage channels of post-medieval and possible medieval date are visible on aerial photographs as earthworks and cropmarks across a large area of Benstead Marshes, Mettingham parish, centred approximately on TM 366911. Only channels not marked on the current base map or First Edition Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884 have been transcribed (S1). Most of the mapped drains are relatively straight or regularly arranged and probably post-medieval in date, but it is possible that some are earlier in origin, particularly in areas where significant remodelling of channels is apparent. A possible causeway is also defined by possible drainage ditches (MTT 040). (S2-S5)
- <S1> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. Circa 1884.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/930 4095-6 16-OCT-1945.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1716 3090-2 06-SEP-1946.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/93382 012-14 13-AUG-1993.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 3690/5 (SFU 11566) 24-JUL-1977.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 10 2019 12:38PM