Monument record NHC 016 - Medieval field boundary and possible road, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 46376 89170 (159m by 142m)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH COVE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
The line of a field boundary and possible road, potentially of medieval date, can be seen on aerial photographs as cropmarks located to the south of North Cove Hall and St Botolph's church, North Cove parish. Both features are visible as pale cropmarks possibly forming over compacted surfaces or low banks, forming an inverted 'v' shape with the two features meeting at circa TM 463892. The western, almost north-south aligned arm of the 'v' is interpreted as a possible field boundary as it appears to continue from a field boundary to the south marked on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map. The north-west to south-east arm is interpreted as the remains of a track, probably a continuation of that to the south-east, which may be that marked on Hodskinson's map of 1793 approaching St Botolph's church. (S1-S3)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2013 3:15PM