Monument record CAC 038 - Extensive Post Medieval flood defence bank, visible as an earthwork.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 48817 92254 (1837m by 2226m)|
|Civil Parish||BARNBY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||BECCLES, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||CARLTON COLVILLE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||NORTH COVE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WORLINGHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
An extensive flood defence bank of probable post-medieval construction is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork extending eastwards on the south bank of the River Waveney from Beccles at circa TM 420912. The flood bank is probably the final stage in a process of land reclamation, drainage and water management which may have begun in this area in the medieval period. Several relict and still functioning flood defence banks which intersect with this bank can be seen to the south on Beccles marshes, Castle marsh and Share marsh, reminders of the progressive reclamation which transformed the marshes to agricultural use (see BCC 063, BCC 067, NHC 021-022, BNB 008, CAC 038-039). Due to gaps in visibility due to vegetation cover and possible erosion of the bank, this feature has been recorded in two sections. The eastern length is recorded in BCC 066. (S1-S5)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/930 4102-8 16-OCT-1945.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1636 4062-6 09-JUL-1946.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 540/495 4081-3 12-MAY-1951.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 543/2531 F22 0064-6 14-NOV-1963.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/81109 124-131 29-SEP-1981.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 22 2018 3:34PM