The monument includes a medieval moated site immediately north east of All Saints' Church and west of the Old Rectory. The moated site includes a roughly rectangular island which measures up to 26m north to south by 32m east to west. This is enclosed on the north, west and part of the south sides by a seasonally waterfilled moat, measuring up to 8m wide and at least 1.5m in depth. The east sides and the eastern end of the south side have been infilled but will survive as buried features. A rectangular fishpond, shown on the enclosure map of 1852 and measuring a maximum of 9m long by 4m wide, is situated approximately 7m to the north west of the moated site and is believed to have originally been connected to it. The 19th century house to the east of the moated site is the successor to a house on the moat island. There is a tradition that the moated site was the site of the Old Rectory. It is recorded as `Hill Piece' on both the 1849 tithe map of Barnardiston and the 1852 enclosure map, which shows it with four waterfilled arms and a causeway across the east arm. A field to the south east is marked as `Dovehouse field' on both maps, suggesting that the moated site originally supported a house with which the dovehouse was associated. The wooden fencing around parts of the moat, the wall to the east of the moat and all modern man-made surfaces are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these features is included.