St James' Chapel.
Substantially built building of flint, brick and stone, with tie-beam roof covered with thatch. Measures 29 x 16 feet, height from floor to roof plate 11 feet (S1). Early C13, with lancet windows. The S wall is in its original state, with lancet windows and a doorway with one slight chamfer. Late C13 piscina with pointed trefoiled arch. W doorway Early Tudor brick (S2). On the N side there were originally two windows, one of which has been bricked up and plastered over, while the other has been converted into a doorway. At the E end are the remains of a three-light window. On the S side are two lancet windows, different in size and height, and an original doorway. At the W end are the remains of a window, bricked up, and a brick Tudor doorway. Double piscina inside. Used in 1908 as a stable and calf pen (S3). A free chapel asociated with Lindsey Castle (LYS 002). First recorded presentation in 1302. Granted to Thomas Turner by the King 1545. In 1547 the Commissioners into chantries etc. found that at Lindsey was a free chapel and that John Smith, aged 10, was its Master or Custos (instituted 1539 aged 5!)(S4).
1991: Said to be maintained. "In care of English Heritage" (S5). See also LSY 001 and 003.
2002: Tree -ring Analysis, An assessment was made of the suitability of the timbers of the roof of this thirteenth- century chapel for dendrochronological analysis. The oak timbers, thought on stylistic grounds to be of late fifteenth- or early sixteenth-century date were all found to be fast-grown. Four samples were extracted in order to confirm the impressions gained from the external appearance of the timbers, but none contained sufficient rings to warrant further analysis (S6).