Monument record LSY 002 - St James' Chapel

Please read our .


St James' Chapel. listed building, Scheduled.


Grid reference Centred TL 9778 4437 (18m by 16m)
Map sheet TL94SE


Type and Period (1)

Full Description

St James' Chapel.
Substantially built building of flint, brick and stone, with tie-beam roof covered with thatch. Measures 29 x 16 feet, height from floor to roof plate 11 feet (S1). Early C13, with lancet windows. The S wall is in its original state, with lancet windows and a doorway with one slight chamfer. Late C13 piscina with pointed trefoiled arch. W doorway Early Tudor brick (S2). On the N side there were originally two windows, one of which has been bricked up and plastered over, while the other has been converted into a doorway. At the E end are the remains of a three-light window. On the S side are two lancet windows, different in size and height, and an original doorway. At the W end are the remains of a window, bricked up, and a brick Tudor doorway. Double piscina inside. Used in 1908 as a stable and calf pen (S3). A free chapel asociated with Lindsey Castle (LYS 002). First recorded presentation in 1302.
Granted to Thomas Turner by the King 1545. In 1547 the Commissioners into chantries etc. found that at Lindsey was a free chapel and that John Smith, aged 10, was its Master or Custos (instituted 1539 aged 5!)(S4).
1991: Said to be maintained. "In care of English Heritage" (S5). See also LSY 001 and 003.

2002: Tree -ring Analysis, An assessment was made of the suitability of the timbers of the roof of this thirteenth- century chapel for dendrochronological analysis. The oak timbers, thought on stylistic grounds to be of late fifteenth- or early sixteenth-century date were all found to be fast-grown. Four samples were extracted in order to confirm the impressions gained from the external appearance of the timbers, but none contained sufficient rings to warrant further analysis (S6).

The likelihood of this being a monastic site seems remote (perambulation of the area produced no finds to indicate substantial buildings or occupation) but there is an Augustinian Priory two kilometers to the east (TL 94 SE 1) which may refer.Published 1:2500 survey correct. (S7)

The earliest parts of the Chapel of St James the Apostle date to the 13th century however it contains reused stones from an earlier period. It is thought that it was built to serve the nearby Castle of Lindsey to the south east. It had probably been built by 1240 since it was in that year that the churches of Kersey and Lindsey were given to Kersey Priory by Nesta de Cockfield. Two years later she also imposed a tithe on parts of Cockfield in order that the chapel would be lit continuously. While Lindsey Castle was abandoned before the end of the 13th century, the chapel remained in use. It was repaired in the 15th or early 16th centuries and works included the lowering of the roof and possibly the shortening of the chapel in length. It was in use as a chapel until 1547 when it was one of the 'free' chapels to be dissolved. Following its dissolution, the king granted the chapel to Thomas Turner and it was used as a barn until 1930. See source for further details. (S10)

Sources/Archives (13)

  • <M1> (No record type): SAM file:.
  • <R1> Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH Suffolk, 2, 1907, 107.
  • <S1> (No record type): DOE scheduling information, based on Harris H A, 1930.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Suffolk, Buildings of England, 1975, 334.
  • <R2> Index: OS. OS Card. OS card, TL94SE19.
  • <S3> (No record type): Wright H J, Architectural details of Lindsey Chapel, PSIA 13, pt 2, 1908, 250-251.
  • <S4> (No record type): Redstone V B, Lindsey Castle & Chapel, PSIA 13, pt 2, 1908, 243-249, photos.
  • <S5> (No record type): Suff Pres Soc, (Paul Edwards) Survey, Table of Results, 1991.
  • <S6> Unpublished document: Bridge M. 2002. Tree-ring Analysis of Timbers from the Chapel of St James, Kersey Road, Rose Green.
  • <S7> Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GJM 14-DEC-79.
  • <S8> Index: DoE. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Babergh, 10-JUL-1980.
  • <S9> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
  • <S10> Bibliographic reference: 2006. Heritage Unlocked: Guide to free sites in the East of England.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Mar 29 2021 12:09PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.