Site Event/Activity record ESF20702 - Farm buildings at Red House Farm, Elmsett

Please read our .

Location

Location Farm buildings at Red House Farm
Grid reference Centred TM 066 469 (45m by 42m)
Map sheet TM04NE
Civil Parish ELMSETT, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Technique(s)

Organisation

Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service

Date

Not recorded.

Map

Description

Red House Farm lies in open countryside on the northern slope of a picturesque shallow valley of a tributary of Belstead Brook. The farm buildings form an enclosed yard approximately 25 metres north-east of a substantial, grade II listed, timber- farmhouse which is described as a 'medieval hall house'. At the time of the Elmsett tithe survey in 1842 the farm was a modest owner-occupied arable holding of 66 acres. The yard is flanked on the north by an impressive timber-framed and weatherboarded range with a steeply pitched slate roof of 30.7 m in length, and by a pair of open-sided pantiled shelter-sheds to the east and west. The shelter-sheds incorporate enclosed feed-stores and four additional storage sheds are housed in a narrow integral red-brick lean-to. The eastern section of the northern range forms a stable with a first-floor granary entered by an external door, while a five-bay barn with a gabled northern porch lies to the west. The resulting complex of eleven separate units represents a largely intact 'model' farm of circa 1860 which illustrates the sophisticated nature of the system of yard-based mixed animal husbandry now known as 'Victorian High Farming'. It replaced a scattered group of farm buildings shown in 1842, but incorporates a four-bay timber-framed barn of circa 1820 that reflects the cereal boom of the Napoleonic era. The complex is accordingly of considerable historic interest as it demonstrates the dramatic change between the two key periods of agricultural revolution in 19th century Suffolk. Project status: Complete Yes, Validated Yes Previous/Future Work: Previous No, Future No Associated Identifiers: Sitecode ETT 020 NMR No. 1529626 Project Type: Building Recording Methods and Techniques: Photographic Survey Reason for Investigation: Direction from Local Planning Authority - PPS Site status: curtilage of a listed building Current Land use: Other 2 - In use as a building Monument Type(s)/Period(s): ARGRICULTURAL BUILDINGS Post Medieval Artefact Type(s)/Period(s): NONE None PROJECT LOCATION Area 800.00 Square metres Grid Reference: TM066469 Point Height 51.00 - 52.00 metres PROJECT CREATOR(S) Brief originator: Local Planning Authority (with/without advice from County/District Archaeologist) Design originator: Edward Martin Director/Manager: David Gill Supervisor: David Gill DIGITAL ARCHIVE Recipient: Suffolk County SMR Contents: Survey Media: Images raster / digital photography, Text PAPER ARCHIVE Recipient: Suffolk County SMR Contents: Survey Media: Report BIBLIOGRAPHY Publication Type: Grey literature (unpublished document/manuscript) Title: Farm buildings at Red House Farm, Elmsett Author(s)/Editor(s): 'Alston, L.' Date: 2010 Issuer/Publisher: SCCAS Place of Issue or Publication: Shire Hall, Bury St Edmunds Description: SCCAS client report, A4, soft bound colour

Sources/Archives (1)

  • --- Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2010. Historic Building Record: Farm buildings at Red House Farm, Elmsett.

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

  • The Farm Buildings, Red House Farm, Elmsett (Building)

Record last edited

Jan 10 2011 9:49AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.