Farmstead record ETT 020 - Farmstead: Red House Farm, Elmsett

Please read our .

Summary

Redhouse Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular U-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhosue is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use. Modern working buildings have been constructed to the side.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 0669 4692 (113m by 106m)
Map sheet TM04NE
Civil Parish ELMSETT, BABERGH, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (8)

Full Description

Redhouse Farm is a farmstead visible on the 1st Ed Os map. The farmstead is laid out in a regular U-plan with additional detached elements. The farmhosue is detached and set away from the yard. The farmstead sits alongside a private track in an isolated location. There has been a partial loss of working buildings with the remaining converted for residential use. Modern working buildings have been constructed to the side. (S2-5)

Recorded as part of the Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project. This is a purely desk-based study and no site visits were undertaken. These records are not intended to be a definitive assessment of these buildings. Dating reflects their presence at a point in time on historic maps and there is potential for earlier origins to buildings and farmsteads. This project highlights a potential need for a more in depth field study of farmstead to gather more specific age data.

Red House Farm lies in open countryside on the northern slope of a picturesque shallow valley of a tributary of Belstead Brook. The farm buildings form an enclosed yard approximately 25 metres north-east of a substantial, grade II listed, timber- farmhouse which is described as a 'medieval hall house'. At the time of the Elmsett tithe survey in 1842 the farm was a modest owner-occupied arable holding of 66 acres. The yard is flanked on the north by an impressive timber-framed and weatherboarded range with a steeply pitched slate roof of 30.7 m in length, and by a pair of open-sided pantiled shelter-sheds to the east and west. The shelter-sheds incorporate enclosed feed-stores and four additional storage sheds are housed in a narrow integral red-brick lean-to. The eastern section of the northern range forms a stable with a first-floor granary entered by an external door, while a five-bay barn with a gabled northern porch lies to the west. The resulting complex of eleven separate units represents a largely intact 'model' farm of circa 1860 which illustrates the sophisticated nature of the system of yard-based mixed animal husbandry now known as 'Victorian High Farming'. It replaced a scattered group of farm buildings shown in 1842, but incorporates a four-bay timber-framed barn of circa 1820 that reflects the cereal boom of the Napoleonic era. The complex is accordingly of considerable historic interest as it demonstrates the dramatic change between the two key periods of agricultural revolution in 19th century Suffolk (S1).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2010. Historic Building Record: Farm buildings at Red House Farm, Elmsett.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Campbell, G., and McSorley, G. 2019. SCCAS: Farmsteads in the Suffolk Countryside Project.
  • <S3> Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
  • <S4> Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
  • <S5> Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Jan 6 2021 12:56PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.