Monument record IKL 003 - Bernersfield Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7877 7530 (39m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Round barrow, part of group of (?8) - see IKL 002, 004-005, 049 & 072-074. Recorded on Hodskinson's map of Suffolk, 1783 (S1) and on OS 1st edition map of 1843 (S2).
Henry Prigg excavated each of the four (recognisable) barrows, IKL 003, 004, 005 & ? 073, in July 1866 (largest)(S9), Autumn 1871 (two tumuli adjacent to the `westernmost of the group') and September 1872 (westernmost)(S9)(R2). It is not clear which was the `largest', but this is presumed to be IKL 005 or the `westernmost' (either 003 or 073) which is presumed to be IKL 073. No details of the excavations of the two adjacent tumuli east, other than a reference to Henry Prigg junior - "who, it may be remembered, at this time last year explored the two adjacent ones of the series" (S10)(R2).
1935: 30-35 yds diameter, 2-3 ft high (S4).
1954: "Hardly noticeable mound by side of grass bank - fir tree in middle (S8).
1962: 30m in diameter, 0.4m high, much reduced and spread by ploughing. SW side mutilated by a trackway, NE is under cultivation (S5). 75 ft diameter, 3 ft high with fir tree on it. Partly cultivated (S6).
1976: 25m diameter, 0.55m high. Fir tree growing on it. Very low and spread (S6)(S7).
1977: `About 36.0m in diameter by 0.9m high'. N half spread by ploughing and SW side mutilated by a trackway (S5).
1981: Almost completely eroded by ploughing to E and tractor to W. Pine tree on it (S6).
April 1998: Scheduled area revised - see (S6).
- <M1> SSF47076 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <R1> SSF7194 (No record type): Grinsell L V, Ancient Burial Mounds of England, 1936, 183.
- <S1> SSF7577 (No record type): Hodskinson R, Map of Suffolk 1783, Suff Rec Soc Reprint, 15, 1972.
- <S1> SSF9964 (No record type): J Brit Archaeol Assoc, 30, 1874, 195.
- <S2> SSF12432 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map, 1st ed, 1843.
- <R2> SSF2980 (No record type): Bury & Norwich Post, September 17, 1872.
- <M2> SSF47077 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <M3> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (Lackford) transcription of (S9); copy (S3).
- <S3> SSF9964 (No record type): J Brit Archaeol Assoc, 30, 1874, 195.
- <S4> SSF12173 Museum Record Card: Norwich Castle Museum. Various?. NWHCM.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NE10.
- <S6> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S7> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. 68, list.
- <S8> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham, undated.
- <S9> SSF16591 (No record type): Prigg H, Notebook No. 2, SRO (Bury), Acc No. 1202, 1866 entry.
- <S10> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Prigg H (Ref: Prigg H) (ESF15992)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Ref: DOE) (ESF13979)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Ref: DOE) (ESF14023)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (PAS) (Ref: OS (PAS)) (ESF14016)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Phillips A S) (Ref: OS (Phillips A S)) (ESF13903)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF14004)
Record last edited
Oct 26 2021 10:10AM