Monument record IKL 025 - Stone Pit Hill, Town Pit, Rampart Field, Rampart Hill, Icklingham, (Palaeolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7880 7165 (184m by 87m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Gravel Pit, Rampart Field otherwise Rampart Hill or the Town Pit. Shown as `Public Pits' on Tithe Map. Probably one of pits known as `Stone Pit Hill'. "Probable source of most of the palaeoliths just marked `Icklingham'". Gravel still being taken in 1950s, now landscaped picnic place. Visited by Prestwick & Evans in 1859 on learning 2 hand-axes found there (R1). Also rolled ovate in Cambridge University Museum and pointed hand-axe & primary flake in Ipswich Museum. Hewitt also refers to `fine late palaeolithic axe' from gravel close to surface (R2). Andrews (R3) & Evans also mention elephant bones probably from this pit (S1).
Also Early Upper Palaeolithic Blade Point, (S3, S4).
"Roe lists several sites on Stone Pit Hill that have yielded one or a few hand-axes: Bottom Pit, Field Pit, Newacks Sand Pit, Road Pit" (R4)(S1).
2018: Section dug as part of the Breckland Palaeolithic Project, (S5).
Note `Stone Pit Hill' also site of Roman cemetery, see also Roman record.
Formerly also mislocated under IKL 044.
- <S1> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia. 131, 132.
- <S2> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22627, 22636.
- <S3> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 1596.
- <S4> SSF56333 Unpublished document: Cutler, Hannah. 2013. Understanding Late Middle Palaeolithic Neandertal Landscape-use during Short-Term Occupations in Britain.
- <S5> SSF59785 E-mail: Davis, R.. 2020. List of Breckland Palaeolithic Project Fieldwork.
- <S6> SSF60053 Article in serial: Ashton, N. Davis, R. Kirsty E.H. Penkmane, G. Russell Coopef. 2021. Cultural Mosaics, Social Structure, and Identity: The Acheulean threshold in Europe.
- <S7> SSF60054 Article in serial: Davis et al. 2021. Palaeolithic archaeology of the Bytham River: Human Occupation of Britain during the Early Middle Pleistocene and its European Context.
- FSF50540: CORDATE HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF50541: POINTED HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF50542: OVATE HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF50543: RETOUCHED FLAKE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF50544: SUB CORDATE HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF50545: FLAKE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF5552: BLADE LEAF POINT (Early Upper Palaeolithic (LRJ) - 42000 BC? to 40000 BC?)
- FSF5553: HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF5554: ANIMAL REMAINS (Pleistocene General - 2578000 BC? to 9700 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Stone Pit Hill, Town Pit, Rampart Field, Rampart Hill, Icklingham, (Ref: Breckland Palaeolithic Project) (ESF28322)
- Event - Intervention: Various Events, Stone Pit Hill, Town Pit, Rampart Field, Rampart Hill, Icklingham, (Palaeolithic) (ESF27523)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2021 1:03PM