Monument record IKL 031 - Camp Close, Icklingham Plains. (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7601 7319 (282m by 294m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
1911: "In a field called Camp Close, is a slightly raised plateau with a scarp of 3 ft, representing a site of a camp denuded of its defences. Numerous evidence of early occupation abound in its neighbourhood" (S1). 1970: "C14 pottery from ditched enclosure, probably house site" (S2)(R1). Found by Michael Lindsey in October 1970.
1977: Earthworks comprising a sub-rectangular banked enclosure 58m N to S by 40m transversely, situated on raised ground under rough pasture. Bank has a maximum height of 0.6m. Remains of a series of slighter & smaller enclosures to W (S3).
1989: Site visited when an electricity cable trench was dug adjacent to the east side of the enclosure, 15/16 November 1989. Enclosure stands on the edge of a terrace which dips to the south to low-lying land bordering the River Lark. The earthwork is most distinct on the northern side, where there is a surviving bank upto half a metre in height. The interior of the enclosure is not entirely level and at the sotuhern end there is a distinct linear bank, partially bisected by a modern vehicle track, aligned on the long axis of the enclosure. Two sherds of part-glazed pottery, ? C15-C16 were found in the interior. One possibility is that this is a rabbit warren enclosure with a burrow bank, late Med in date (S4).
To the west of the enclosure are traces of other enclosures or field boundaries.
See also BA.
- --- SSF50156 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson. Hodskinson map, 1783. outline shown on hodskinson map & plan of military encampment, Cavenham Heath 1779.
- <R1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 32, 1970, (1).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: sketch map of earthworks, 1989.
- <S1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 590.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham Med.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE50.
- <S4> SSF10934 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, November 1989.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
Record last edited
Mar 5 2015 10:53AM