Monument record BSE 065 - The Grindle; Grindle Pit, Bury St Edmunds, (Palaeolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8594 6325 (207m by 91m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURY ST EDMUNDS, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1863-1867: Notes & sections relating to finds from Grindle pit in Prigg notebook - details in (S2). Now mostly built over.
Wymer states more palaeoliths have been found here than any other site in Bury St Edmunds, some possibly in primary context. Variable sections described in Geological Survey Memoir in 1886 (S4), and in Evans (1897, S5). Wymer records the industry as a `highly refined Acheulian one' including some Levalloisian flakes (S1).
Also see Un, for inhumation excavated by Prigg in 1866.
Presence of twiste ovate handaxes could indicate an MIS 11 date, but presence of Levallois may suggest later or mixed assemblage, (S6, S7).
- <S1> SSF50084 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J.. 1985. Palaeolithic Sites of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF16589 Unpublished document: Prigg, H.. 1863-1867. Prigg H, Notebook no. 2. Prigg H, Notebook no. 2, Ms, 1863-1867, Suff Rec Off, Acc no. 1202, 29,30,52,59.
- <S3> SSF59351 Digital archive: Wymer, J.J.. 1999. The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPs) The Lower Palaeolithic Occupation of Britain (TERPS). 22556.
- <S4> SSF1188 Article in serial: Bennett, F.J; Blake, J.H.. 1886. The Geology of the Country Between and South of Bury St Edmunds and Newmarket.. ; Whitaker, W. 1886. Bennett F J et al, Mem Geol Surv Eng & Wales, 1886.
- <S5> SSF6117 Bibliographic reference: Evans, J.. 1897. The Ancient Stone implements, weapons and ornaments of Great Britain.
- <S6> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S7> SSF59423 Article in serial: White, M.J. & Ashton, N; Bridgland.. 2019. Twisted Handaxes in Middle Pleistocene Britain and their Implications for Regional-scale Cultural Variation and the Deep History of Acheulean Hominin Groups.
- FSF49942: CORDATE HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC to 298000 BC)
- FSF49943: OVATE HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC to 298000 BC)
- FSF49944: TWISTED OVATE HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC to 298000 BC)
- FSF49945: SIDE SCRAPER (Lower Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 323000 BC?)
- FSF49946: END SCRAPER (Lower Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 323000 BC?)
- FSF49947: RETOUCHED FLAKE (Lower Palaeolithic - 1000000 BC? to 323000 BC?)
- FSF49948: AXEHEAD ROUGHOUT (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF5692: SUB CORDATE HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF5693: HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF5694: LEVALLOIS FLAKE (Early Middle Palaeolithic - 323000 BC? to 178000 BC?)
- FSF5695: ANIMAL REMAINS (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- FSF5696: POINTED HANDAXE (Acheulean - 531000 BC? to 298000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jan 13 2020 10:03AM