Monument record IKL 063 - Kiln Field, Iklingham
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7832 7192 (54m by 55m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (7)
Within larger scheduled Roman site, IKL 020 (S8).
February 1958: TL 7833 7193 Large "tessera, red & white on surface after trenching" (S1-S4). Mis-sited to TL 7832 7183 by OS (S5). These tesserae confirmed as being seen in this area by the late Colonel Browning. An area of 250 square metres excavated to establish extent of Christian complex (IKL 033), investigate tesserae scatter and section roadline (IKL 064). The road was 7.5m wide with some packed gravel surface surviving and a ditch on the N edge. Two cremations in pots were found one with an accompanying pottery cup, ? late C1. Eight C4 inhumations indicated the NE limit of the Christian cemetery. the remainder of the area contained apparently domestic occupation - clay spreads, postholes, a cobbled area - and numerous tesserae in a disturbed ? hill-wash accumulated context. Finds were predominantly later Rom - coins Antoninus Pius - Valentinian (few), mainly late C3 - mid C4. A large pit just S of the road was not completely excavated - ? a well (S6,S7). Details in excavation archive, also photos.
- <S1> SSF11248 Cartographic materials: Lady G Briscoe. MIHLM, 6 inch record map. MIHLM, Correspondents 6 inch record map, G Briscoe entry, February 1958.
- <S2> SSF50231 Unpublished document: Lady Grace Briscoe. Grace Briscoe archive. Briscoe G, Sketch map & drawing in diary for February 1958.
- <S3> SSF59811 Bibliographic reference: Council for British Archaeology. 1957. Council for British Archaeology Group 7: Bulletin of archaeological discoveries. CBA, Gp 7 bulletin, 5, 1958, 6.
- <S4> SSF55957 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1958. Archaeology in Suffolk 1958.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE33.
- <S6> SSF20442 Excavation archive: SAU, Plouviez J. 1977. IKL 063. SAU, Plouviez J, excavation archive, 1977.
- <S7> SSF1562 Bibliographic reference: 1978. Britannia IX. Britannia IX, 448, 1978.
- <S8> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF6107: TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6108: COIN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6109: TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6110: (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6111: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6112: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF6113: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 18 2021 10:24AM