Monument record DEB 003 - The Rectory; The Old Rectory; The Moat House; Charnwood
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2446 5428 (145m by 167m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||DEBACH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
? Moat. Two surviving arms to the NE & SE, both wet. `Area of "island" grassed over, house now to NW, drive around outside, watched during construction during winter 1985/1986 - no finds' (S1). Site fronts main road. Shown as much the same on tithe map. Known as `The Rectory' on 1927 OS 2nd edition 25 inch map(s) and `The Old Rectory' on 1950's 6 inch map. On OS 2500 map shown as `The Moat House' (S1)(S2)(R1).
The Moat House is a Listed Building (gr II) recorded as Charnwood (façade of 1813 apparently).
2010: Archaeological monitoring of groundwork associated with the replacement of a rear extension to Moat House, Woodbridge Road, Debach, was undertaken during November 2010. The excavation of a series of foundation trenches was monitored which revealed a large area of fill in one trench. This lay on the line of a linear pond or moat and would suggest that it originally continued for at least a further 3m from its existing north-west terminus. No other archaeological features or deposits were revealed but there was evidence that the surface of the natural subsoil, which consisted of blue-grey clay, had been previously truncated (S3).
- <S1> SSF19862 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, DEB 003, map, February 1986.
- <R1> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (S1)(S2).
- <S2> SSF19863 (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, DEB 003, map, February 1989.
- <S3> SSF53933 Unpublished document: Sommers, M. 2011. Archaeological Monitoring Report, Moat House, Woodbridge Road, Debach, DAB 003.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 10 2020 10:52AM