Monument record RGD 002 - Church of St James, Little Redisham/Redisham Hall Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4023 8636 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||RINGSFIELD, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Remains of St James Church, formerly parish church of Little Redisham parish.
All that remains are the lower courses of the W wall and a fragment of the N wall which stands to a height of 1.0m. These fragments are of flint rubble with no architectural details preserved. The remainder of the church is completely razed and the site is tree covered and neglected. OS ground photograph AO/62/73/1, general view from W-NW. Published survey (25 inch 1927) correct (CF Wardale FI 6/9/1962).
The church or free chapel of Little Redisham is a very small building, now in ruins, which comprised in its perfect state a nave and chancel only, without either aisles or tower. The Prior and convent of Butley were patrons of this preferment and presented to it as a separate benefice until 1450 when itwas annexed to the Rectory of Ringsfield. It is probable that the fabric soon after fell into decay, though the two livings were not consolidated until 1627; it was in ruins in 1613 (S1) (S2) (from (R1)).
Possibly the other Domesday church in Ringsfield (see Ringsfield 004 and Redisham 006) (S2).
Skeletons (3) disturbed by tree blown over October 1987. The W wall now almost turf covered. The churchyard ditch is visible as an earthwork enclosing an area 46m N-S, 55m E-W (S4).
Photograph in (S5).
- --- SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 CFW 06-SEP-62.
- <R1> SSF21718 (No record type): Suckling Reverend A, History and Antiquities of Suffolk, 1846, 1, 66.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP PP 83, undated; SAU CEK 3.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM48NW1, 1962 (ill).
- <S2> SSF18034 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1980.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: plan.
- <R2> SSF5536 (No record type): EADT, 28 July 1937.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP PP 83, undated.
- <R3> SSF5535 (No record type): EADT, 28 December 1934.
- <S4> SSF19061 (No record type): SAU, Carr R D, 1988.
- <S5> SSF50188 Bibliographic reference: Barker H R. 1911. East Suffolk Illustrated. 398.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 25 2021 3:34PM