Monument record CLO 038 - Church of St Mary the Virgin

Please read our .

Summary

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 2210 5257 (119m by 92m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM25SW
Civil Parish CLOPTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin.
Nave, chancel, tower over S porch. Present building C13, font early perpendicular design, nave with single hammerbeam roof. C15 tower over S porch - massive structure, 80 feet high. Extensively restored & chancel rebuilt in 1883. Near parish boundary and only 380m from Burgh Church (S1)(R1).
See WB Report (S2).
See S3 for more detail.

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> (No record type): SAU, Newman J, site report, CLO 038, April 1989.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
  • <R1> (No record type): Guide to the Parish Church of Clopton.
  • <S2> Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Various. SAU, Boulter S, SCCAS WB Report 96/46, August 1996.
  • <S3> Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1), p.91.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Jul 22 2013 2:57PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.