Monument record WHL 007 - Millpost Field (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 397 806 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||WESTHALL, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Eight enamelled bronze terret rings, two enamelled quadrilobe strap-unions, one plain bronze terret, six bronze heads of iron linch pins, disc with an animal figure, bronze and iron fragments, including part of a socketed spearhead, four highly burnished flint pebbles, fragments of bronze vessels. The hoard was packed on a circular bronze dish and covered by a circular bronze plate embossed with cruciform and palm-branch pattern, (with the backward looking animal motif in the centre?) upon which was placed a large flint.
Found circa 1854, at a depth of circa 2 feet, by a farmer making drains through the lowest part of the field (Millpost Field). Near the centre of an area of darker soil (circa 2 acres in extent) which yielded much burnt earth and fragments of pottery (mainly Rom)(S5).
Recent fieldwalking by P M Warner (1973) (S5).
Casts in Ipswich Museum.
For excavation (no finds) by H Harrod on site, see (S1).
- <R1> SSF10187 (No record type): Kemble, J.M.. Kemble J M et al, Horae Ferales 1863, 196 (ill).
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S1).
- <S1> SSF7320 (No record type): Harrod H, On horse-trappings found at Westhall, Archaeologia, 36, 1855, (2), 454-456 (ill).
- <R2> SSF194 (No record type): Allen J R, Celtic Art in pagan and Christian Times, 1904, 154 (ill).
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 319.
- <S3> SSF10873 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, A new Iron Age terret from Weybread, PSIA, 34, 1978, (2),1.
- <R3> SSF3672 (No record type): Clarke R R, The Iron Age in Norfolk and Suffolk, Archaeological Journal, 96, 1939, 65-69, 110 (ill).
- <R4> SSF1434 (No record type): Brailsford J, Later Prehistoric Antiquities of the British Isles, 1953, 1962 (ill).
- <S4> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1934-75.1-5, 1934.
- <S5> SSF18045 (No record type): SAU (Martin E), SMR card revised, 1982.
- <R5> SSF21494 (No record type): Spratling M G, Southern British decorated bronzes of the late pre- Roman Iron Age, unpub PhD thesis,.
- FSF21256: HARNESS (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF21257: LINCH PIN (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF21258: PLATE BROOCH (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF21259: SPEARHEAD (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF21260: VESSEL (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF21261: PLATE (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF21262: WORKED OBJECT (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF21263: HOARD (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- FSF21264: HOARD (Late Iron Age - 100 BC to 42 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 23 2015 3:15PM