Monument record WNF 001 - Priory of St Peter/Priory Church of Saints Peter & Paul

Please read our .

Summary

Also known as St Peter, Reydon.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 466 790 (100m by 100m)
Map sheet TM47NE
Civil Parish WANGFORD WITH HENHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Also known as St Peter, Reydon. Alternative dedications: St Mary or Saints Peter and Paul.
The alien Cluniac priory of Wangford was founded before 1159, naturalised in 1376, and dissolved in 1540 when its valuation was pounds 30. The complement of monks ranged from three to possibly five (S1) (quoting (R1)). History and sources noted. Apparently gone to ruin by 1537 and cell let to farm. Surrender is included in that of Thetford, which was signed on 16 February 1539- 1540. The site of this priory and all its possessions were assigned to the Duke of Norfolk on 9 July 1540 (S2).
The Priory buildings adjoined the S side of the parish church (S1) (quoting (R2)).
There were considerable remains of the monastic buildings until about a hundred years ago when they were dismantled. The cloister adjoined the S wall of the church and the windows have high sills so that the privacy of the cloister could be preserved. There were two doors through the S wall into the cloister and outside just E of the pinnacle can be seen the lintel of a door which may have led from the dormitory to steps in the church ... Nothing now remains of the Norman building above ground since an arcade with six bays of typical Norman chevron work was removed from the E end of the N aisle (of the church) some hundred and ten years ago (S3).
Jan 1961: Human remains from Priory site, (note on Ipswich Museum map) (S6).
1976: Correspondence concerning Waveney District Councils `local plan' and possibility of infill development (S4)(S5).
1976: Excavated by Thomas H Gardner. Copies of detailed report, sections and site plans in parish file (S7).
Also see WNF 005 for church entry.

Sources/Archives (11)

  • <R1> (No record type): Knowles, D. & Hadcock, R.N.. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses: England and Wales (1st ed). Knowles D & Hadcock R N, Medieval religious houses of England and Wales, 1953, 100.
  • <S1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM47NE5, 1970.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S5)(S7).
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH, Suffolk, 2, 1907, 88-89.
  • <R2> (No record type): Dickinson P G M, A little guide to Suffolk, sixth edition, 1957, 352.
  • <S3> (No record type): The priory church of Saints Peter & Paul, Wangford (church guide ?) un.
  • <S4> (No record type): SAU (RDC), file note, 19 May 1976.
  • <S5> (No record type): SAU (RDC), letter to Mr Bloxham, Planning Department Waveney District.
  • <S6> (No record type): SAU (EM), undated.
  • <S7> (No record type): Gardner T H and Hogarth A P, letter 3 August 1988 & Excavation archive.
  • <S8> Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TM 465 790, JFV 7-9, 22 July 1992.

Finds (11)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (3)

Record last edited

Aug 3 2012 12:30PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.