Monument record HEV 008 - Deer Park and Landscape Park; Heveningham Park.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3533 7312 (1921m by 2944m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||HEVENINGHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||HUNTINGFIELD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||WALPOLE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
- LANDSCAPE PARK (18th century to 20th century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- HA HA (18th century to 19th century - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)
- GARDEN (18th century to 20th century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- LANDSCAPE FEATURE (18th century to 20th century - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)
- DEER PARK (16th century to 17th century - 1533 AD to 1699 AD)
Documentary evidence for deer park c.1533 quoting a grant of a buck and a doe to Nicholas Bacon (S4)
Landscaped by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown during 18th century. Formal gardens & pleasure grounds circa 4 ha, enclosed by ha-ha by Brown, landscape park circa 175 ha; 1781-1782 by Capability Brown, also 1877 works. Grounds include walled garden, orangery (Wyatt). Beyond ha-ha to E, scattered planting of trees by Brown, partly on site of bastioned viewpoint removed by him. Lake (formerly ?) crossed by causeway carrying drive set with limes. Remains of avenue N of lake & to SW. Late C18 lodge. Temple (? Wyatt) (S1).
Park plotted after Hodskinson's 1793 map (S3). Definition amended to include areas mapped by English Heritage (S1) in October 1995.
TM 3473 7327: Circular thatched ice-house approached by thatched passage, set in trees (S1). See HEV 017.
- <R1> SSF4177 (No record type): Country Life, 25 April 1908, 594; 19 September 1925, 432, 18 September 1969, 670.
- <S1> SSF5734 (No record type): English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Interest in England: Part 39 Suffolk, und.
- <R2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 1981.
- <S2> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:25000 map, TM 3473-3573, 1978.
- <R3> SSF21677 (No record type): Stroud D, Capability Brown, 1975.
- <S3> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <R4> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S4> SSF53541 Unpublished document: Hoppitt, R.. 1992. The Development of Parks in Suffolk from the C11th to the C17th (PhD thesis, UEA).
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 24 2018 1:45PM