Building record HEV 018 - Heveningham Hall

Please read our .

Summary

Heveningham Hall, built in 18th century by Robert Taylor, completed by James Wyatt, visible on 1st edition OS map.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 3506 7342 (119m by 51m)
Map sheet TM37SE
Civil Parish HEVENINGHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (3)

Full Description

Heveningham Hall, associated with deer park later landscaped by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown (See HEV 008).
Hall of circa 1778-1780 by Robert Taylor, completed circa 1780-1784 by James Wyatt (S1).
Marked on 1st edition OS map (S2) and Hodskinson's 1783 map of Suffolk (S3).

Grade I listed building. Brick and stucco with Coade stone detailing; leaded roof. Two and a half storeys. Symmetrical 23-bay facade extending for some 80m and arranged 3:5:7:5:3. The central block has an arcaded ground floor, rusticated, with a screen of detached giant Corinthian columns above, paired at the corners: these support an entablature and a parapet enriched with garlands, carved panels and sculpture. Flanking pedimented wings of similar design, with 4 engaged giant columns and square pilasters at the corners; these are linked to the central block by slightly recessed sections, arcaded (but not rusticated) on the ground floor, and with enriched panels over the first floor windows and balustrading to the parapet. All the windows are inset sashes with slender glazing bars. Very fine interior. The central entrance hall has a tunnel- vaulted ceiling enriched with stucco decoration and a screen of 4 scagliola columns at each end and scagliola pilasters against the walls; this room is considered to be the finest surviving example of Wyatt's interior design. The main state rooms are to the left of the hall: the dining room (restored after a fire in 1949) and saloon have very fine Adam-type decoration both in stucco and in painted relief (by Biagio Rebecca); Etruscan room also with painted decoration. Well staircase behind hall with painted cast iron balustrade incorporating lead medallions and mahogany handrail. Immediately to the right of the hall is the morning room with a plainer barrel-shaped ceiling and the print room decorated with C18 prints. The east wing, containing the library and drawing room, was gutted by fire in June 1984 (S4).

Includes mid-late 19th century game larder, yellow brick with a stone band at first floor level and slated roof, two storeys hexagonal plan, Grade II listed (S5).

Extensive system of ditched enclosures, probably medieval manor site, see HEV 002.

See HEV 019 for Stables.

Sources/Archives (11)

  • <R1> (No record type): Country Life, 25 April 1908, 594; 19 September 1925, 432, 18 September 1969, 670.
  • <S1> (No record type): English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Interest in England: Part 39 Suffolk, und.
  • <R2> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, Suffolk, 1981.
  • <S2> Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:25000 map, TM 3473-3573, 1978.
  • <R3> (No record type): Stroud D, Capability Brown, 1975.
  • <S3> Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
  • <R4> Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
  • <S4> Digital archive: English Heritage. Listed Buildings Online. National Ref: 1183040.
  • <S5> Digital archive: English Heritage. Listed Buildings Online. National Ref: 1183048.
  • <S6> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
  • <S7> Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 JRL 13-MAY-74.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (5)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Aug 25 2021 5:41PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.