Monument record LKD 002 - Clamps Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7765 7057 (302m by 212m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LACKFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Rectilinear cropmark system, aligned NE - SW, enclosing one area of approximately 400 square m and probably a second rectangle of similar size to the SW. The NW and SE sides partially double ditched (S1). A dark irregular area identified on OS AP (R1) but nothing shows on RAF AP 1946 where the area is old pasture (S2).
The 1842 Tithe Map names the area 'Heath Lands' (S2).
Whole field walked in 1981 and a few sherds of pottery found on the W side within the cropmark enclosure, including Nene Valley mortarium and C4 grey ware decorated flange. Quern fragment also noted (not kept) (S3). Coins: five AD 310 - 337 found in the same area and in the field to the W where a gilded bronze oval brooch, missing the setting, and a bronze ? spatula were also found.
These were found with a metal detector (S4). Other detector finds have been mentioned from this field, further late Rom coins and late Sax coins (S5).
1997: Pipeline evaluation revealed 2 ditches one of which may be part of the enclosure, for details see (S7)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP AVT 38, AVT 40 (1968).
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP, AVT 38, AVT 40.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE75, 1977.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file : description, drawing.
- <S3> SSF16443 (No record type): Plouviez J, SAU, fieldwalking notes 1981, lost in burglary 1981.
- <S4> SSF21629 (No record type): Stimson D, 1983.
- <S5> SSF10854 Source Unchecked: Marston, G.. Marston G, 1977.
- <S6> SSF2 (No record type): OS, AP 76/060/171 - 172.
- <S7> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Plouviez J, 1997 (SAU).
- <S8> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GJM 07-OCT-77.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF52301: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Feb 22 2021 2:47PM