Monument record NKT 005 - Palace House Mansion;The Palace;The Greyhound;United Reform Church
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6441 6336 (96m by 91m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||NEWMARKET, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Replacement palace for NKT 004 for Charles II, enlarged and built onto house of Earl of Thomond, and the Greyhound Inn next door, which were purchased by Charles II in 1668. Architect for extension, William Samwell. According to Count of Tuscany in 1669 `does not deserve to be called a king's residence' and a description of 1670 by John Evelyn also records its lack of grandeur. Details in (S1).
Rented to Duke of Somerset & Duke of Rutland in C18 and sold in 1819 when most pulled down except 2 lower storeys of SW block (now part of `Palace House Mansion')(S1).
2001: for 2 small excavationswithin area see (S3). HER mapping after (S2)(S3, fig 2).
For associated ice-house see NKT 016
A small excavation in advance of construction work, inconnection with the restoration of Charles II's palace, identified the remains of a late-medieval timber-framed house, apprently detroyed by fire in the 16th or 17th century, prior to the construction of the palace in the 1680s. See S5.
2001: English saltglazed tankard, dated 1756, incised M-Dibble/Newmarket, details in (S6).
- <S1> SSF10992 Monograph: May, P.. 1984. The Changing Face of Newmarket 1600-1760. May P, The Changing Face of Newmarket 1600-1760, 1984, 23-25, figs 11 & 25.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. (S1).
- <S2> SSF50119 Unpublished document: Atfield, R.. 2008. Monitoring Report Generic. Craven J (SCCAS), 2005/31, 2005, fig 2.
- <S3> SSF50028 Excavation archive: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Excavation Report. Sommers M (SCCAS), 2001/34.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH, 38 (3), 195, p.356.
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1), p.99.
- <S6> SSF59746 Finds Report: Anderson, S.. 2001. SCCAS Finds Record: Newmarket (NKT 005).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2020 10:38AM