Monument record BAR 038 - Post Medieval tower mill, ceased to work by wind in 1925 and was power driven for some years.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9410 7380 (6m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||BARDWELL, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Tower mill dated 1823, it ceased to work by wind in 1925 and was power driven for some years. It had four patent sails, a fantail and a `beehive' cap. The cap is now in very poor condition. Two pairs of stones and a dresser remain (S1).
Sails were removed in 1925 (S2).
First mapped on Tithe Map, circa 1839 (S3)(R1).
Listed as one of the 16 most important industrial archaeology site in Suffolk (S4)(R2).
- --- SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 6" 1960.
- <R1> SSF1003 Map: 1838/39. Bardwell Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <S1> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
- <R2> SSF50094 Bibliographic reference: Miscellaneous Bibliographic reference. Cossons N, The BP Book of Industrial Archaeology, 1975.
- <S2> SSF6481 Unpublished document: Flint,B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
- <S3> SSF5275 (No record type): Dolman P C J, letter, May 1990.
- <S4> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. 35, September 1991.
- <S5> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. NRI01.
- <S6> SSF56643 Index: National Record of Industrial Monuments. Recorded by HT White, 24-Apr-1969, Record No.268409.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Apr 8 2021 1:52PM